The Leatherer-Tower remained the only one of the four city towers, while the other three were demolished in the course of the 19th century. Today it is THE trademark of Wels.
The name of the gateway through the Ledererturm, mentioned for the first time on 24 July 1326, comes from the suburb district "Unter den Lederern", “Amongst the leatherers”, (today's Fabrikstrasse and Schwimmschulgasse), where there were numerous leather workshops.
In 1610, the tower was heavily damaged during a vain attack on the town by the "Passauer Kriegsvolk" and threatened to collapse.
Through a reconstruction in the years 1616 to 1619 by the Wels master brick mason Marx Martin Spaz from Linz, the Leatherer-Tower got its present form (wedge stone of the gate with the date of the year 1618).
The nearly 38-meter-high building on an almost square floor plan consists of horizontal floors, each with a window on the east and west sides in three of its four floors. On the fourth floor is the clock tower. The gate has a row of rustic tiles, which are pointed at the arch, and the corners of the tower are emphasized by cuboids just as well.
?In the 13th century city walls surrounded the Welser citizens. For centuries, the four city towers – Schmidturm, Fischerturm, Traunturm and Ledererturm – watched over the happenings and events of the city. In the 19th century, three of them were removed. Only the...